View Single Post
Old July 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Default Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Video Card Problem

Hi All,
I'm from Australia and I'm new to the forums and its a shame that my first post has to be be about an issue I'm having with my one day old system.
Just wanted to say I'd appreciate any help that I can get.
First of all I'll give a quick spec breakdown of what I have.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard using the latest 2.00 bios.
i5-3570K Intel (ivy) cpu at stock
16 gigs of G-Skill Ares ddr3 ram
Msi R7850 Twin Frozr III 2gig oc graphics card
Corsir SSD
Corsair H60 Water cooling unit.

Ok here's the problem.
Initially the video card (the MSI) was not being detected at all by the system and I had to use the onboard Intel HD to be able to get into the bios.
Once in the bios I went into the Northbridge category of the advanced options and ensured that the video options were set to pciexpress.
At this point the two options for slots pcie2 and pcie3 link speed were set to Auto, as they should be.

The only way that I have been able to get my motherboard to successfully detect the MSI video card is by changing the link speed for the pcie2 slot to the GEN1 option!
Once this is done, the system has no problem running the video card as its output.
Of course once your boot into windows 7 and run GPU-z, it reveals the card running at x16 1.1 instead of 3.0 or even 2.0
I've done a cmos reset back to defaults and of course this then changes the settings back to AUTO and I'm back to square one.
Apart from this issue, the system runs extremely well.
I haven't done any benchmarking or played any games as yet but I'm expecting to see some degradation of performance because of the "bottlenecking" that this issue may cause.

Can anyone out there assist me at all with advice, or a work around or even examples of similar cases where this has happened.
I paid $155au for the board itself and although I'm not flush with cash, I would buy another board just to get the system right.
Please help :)
Thanks again.