View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 05:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Rofl. Um yes the Intel 520 does indeed use custom IN-HOUSE firmware (that they spent over a year working on). SandForce opened up their code only for Intel. Thus the Intel 520 uses its OWN custom firmware. That is different than any other SF2281 drives. Is it based on stock?...of course. BUT because it IS custom firmware the Intel toolbox will fully work on a 520 but NOT on any other SF2281 drive. Dont beleive me? Try running the optimizer option in the toolbox on oh say a HyperX OR any non-Intel drive. ;)

The very fact you call one of the largest SSD providers with probably the largest group of models "garbage" just goes to show how biased you are.

Yes the 830 is good kit. I like it a lot. BUT the 520 w/ its toolbox is a better fit for most peoples needs. YMMV on this one and most peeps can NOT go wrong with either. ;)
intel toolbox merely probes Device identify of the drive and only accepts Intel branded drives, if I changed my SSD build to the same device name it would also work on the intel toolbox. The toolbox is a sales tool for intel, it's not like RST which is unlocked to any storage device.
Sorry I work in the engineering department of a SSD manufacter.
As for being biased, OCZ still sucks and I highly recommend Kingston HyperX, Intel or Samsung, in other words, quality drives. I'm biased toward quality products.