Thread: AMD 7990 ?
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Sigh, more speculation. There could very well be a market for an AMD dual GPU solution. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is a gap between the GTX680/7970 ($500) and the GTX690 ($1000). And it's a pretty HUGE gap. AMD doesn't HAVE to compete with the GTX690. All they have to do is come somewhere between the GTX680 and the 690. Maybe a dual 7950 solution priced at $800. They could do a 'crappy' (i.e. not up to the standards of the GTX690) reference heatsink solution, and then let their board partners come up with pimp cooling solutions.
I'd honestly say we haven't seen one yet because of the power envelope of either a dual 7950/7970 setup is too much for a single card, at reasonable clocks. Same reason for no 490's back in the day of Fermi.
Not to say there isn't something in the works, one is always hopeful but I bet they are running into issues.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com