View Single Post
Old July 6, 2012, 01:10 AM
MVP

My 1100$ build (well more like $1200 as 1.1k was before I changed some things around):

Gigabyte GTX 670 OC (uses the 680 PCB and windforce cooler...soon to be upgraded to water)
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz (can hit 5ghz but decided to settle for 4.8 for 24/7 use)
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (with a second Blade Master fan for push pull)
Silverstone PS07B (front 2 fans replaced with SickleFlows as the stock fans although quiet didn't move enough air for my liking and added an Arctic Cooling F12 Pro for exhaust)
Asus P8Z77-M Pro (perfectly sufficient for overclocking on an mATX footprint)
XFX Core 650W
2x Mushkin Chronos 120gb SSDs in RAID0
640GB Western Digital Blue
4x4GB 1600Mhz C9 Corsair Dominator DDR3

I didn't need to rebuy Win7 and don't see a need for any optical drive so I guess that does reduce the price considerably but still the 300$ gap does not seem justified...even more so cause the rest of the builds seem more or less comparable with only the 670 being a noticeable step above the 7870.

As far as your build goes:

If you don't need an SFF build then just get a full sized ATX board to fit in that case. Yes the RoG board is great for overclocking but most decent Z77 board will have absolutely no difference except if you are doing extreme stuff like LN2.
Actually 650W is enough (barely though) for even 2way crossfired 7870 (which I wouldn't ever recommend an mATX board unless you are water cooling) on on even the most aggressively overclocked Ivy Bridges
The difference between 1600 and 2133 ram in real world applications is next to none to be honest
I used to hate on ALCs and to be frank, they are mostly just gimicks...although the H100 is the exception in my book. However, I'm not exactly sure if this is what you need. The H100 and NH-D14 currently share the crown for more effective and readily available non custom cooling. Although, considering how Ivy Bridge behaves under heavy OCing I would suggest either dropping this and getting something more toned down and going for a generic 4.6ghz OC or swap to Sandy Bridge and aim for the 5ghz milestone. Also the main difference between the NH-D14 and H100 is that H100 fits most situations while the NH-D14 is just way way way more silent. Since both of these would have no problem fitting in an Arc Midi/Mini case I would suggest getting the quieter option if you do indeed choose the Sandy Bridge route.