View Single Post
Old July 3, 2012, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't get it... are you doing a true dual boot or having one OS as a host and the other on a VM? If you use Windows as the host and Linux in a VM remember you can still get affected by a keylogger or anything else that can track what's going on between your I/O and the VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac29 View Post
Will ext4 be an additional safeguard?
It depends on the virus, although I can't imagine many virus writers would write ext2/3/4 drivers into their payloads in some blind guess that their target is running a dual-boot system... not when there's a lot easier targets
What I do to make CERTAIN the viruses can't cross partitions is to encrypt the partition I want to guard against viruses. Of course you can't use it when encrypted, and when decrypted and / or you store the decrypt key or password on your computer it's just as vulnerable as always.
For your dual-boot you could encrypt your entire Linux install which would protect against everything less than bootsector and BIOS-based viruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac29 View Post
Additionally, I've always been curious about setting up a separate data partition, easing a re-install of Windows, etc. What's the best way to do this? Install appls to the OS partition? How set all data to go to a data part.? Separate temp partition or somehow set that to the data partition also?
I did this to separate my OS stuff and data onto separate disks:
Windows 7 - Moving My Documents
You can move all of the folders with special icons in your user folder this way, which is what I did. Note that still leaves anything that doesn't go into those folders (e.g. C:\Users\you\AppData), but the hacks that move everything can break some applications.