View Single Post
Old June 24, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need Help - Random Re-Boot

It started about two weeks ago. I had left my computer for a couple of minutes and while I was still in the room, it re-booted. Found that my bios settings were not quite the same. So I set everything to stock except for my ram voltage settings because of the Crucial Ballistix that I'm using. The PC8500 isn't actually supported by my mobo, so I've been running it at 800 mhz and 5-5-5-18. I'm thinking that this may be a weak spot.

Even after setting the rig to stock speeds, the re-booting became more frequent. I tried memtest4win and immediately had errors. I removed two of the dimms and that seemed to help for about a day, and then it re-booted again. So I switched dimms and that was good for about a day before it started doing it again. Now I haven't found any errors with memtest4win, although I haven't run any tests more than a few minutes (100% ram tested).

It seems to happens most when I try accessing the internet thru Foxmail or Explorer, and also when the computer comes out of suspend mode. It quickly flashes a BSOD and re-boots. The BSOD is too fast to make out anything, but it looks like possibly a memory address.

Temps and voltages have been normal. I've tried just about every diagnostic program and none of them show any problems.

So right now I'm thinking about ordering 8Gb of Mushkin HP2-6400 or EM2-6400. I'm hoping its not the mobo or something more serious. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

:help:

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!