View Single Post
Old June 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Because a faster storage drive won't help for one FPS or help me manage my PC any better. A 10 year old IDE drive is going to work the exact same in game than any SSD. Sure the SSD will kill it in loading speeds and starting Windows, I don't dispute that. 99% of the people running SSD's still need a mechanical storage drive for keeping everything.

Until prices drop, it makes no sense, unless you have money to burn, to pay so much for so little storage.

It's been very common for quite some time now to use a very fast smaller drive for the OS.
Take the Raptors for example. Quite a few people, myself included, have been running them for years, simply because they do make a decent difference to the performance enthusiast.
And SSD's have hit the price point where they dominate Raptors at the lower drive sizes.

I would agree though, that SSD's are a huge waste of money in the larger sizes though.
Right now a 960gb OCZ SSD is $1,100 US. And that's quite a bit less than the rest of the market.

For a backup drive they would be fantastic. The ability to copy a blu-ray sized file in a half minute would save a lot of time.
But until they're affordable at the 1tb size, minimum, they're still not very useful for anything other than the OS. But that's not such a bad thing.