View Single Post
Old June 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Is the ASUS U3S6 bootable?
YES, it is. And most beautiful thing if you install Win7? is not even asking for a driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
The motherboard is ASUS P5G41T-M LX.
That mobo still has pci ex 1.0, so it will be limited. I think enaberif doesn't have much experience with add in cards, I had 3, all bootable, 1 with Silicon Image 3132, 1 with Silicon Image 3124 and the Marvel 9123 from Asus U3S6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Even with a PCIe specification 2.0 board, a x1 slot will still be slower than the specified speed for SATA III though in practical terms should not be much of an impact if only using one drive. The U3S6 has the Marvel sata chipset and uses only has 1x PCIe 2.0 link and a PLX bridge chip to covert it to a PCI-E 4x card. The USB 3 is also limited to 1x PCIe 2.0 link as well. Those 2 chips share the 4x PCIe links bandwidth so it would be easy to bottleneck the card. And yes it is bootable though some have reported a minor struggle to get to do so with some hardware configurations.
The U3S6 has 4 lanes, divided equally for the USB 3.0 chip and the other 2 for the Marvell controller. The 2 lanes allocated for the Marvell chips are not shared equally however, they are allocated dynamically, and I say that because I reached 327MB/s while testing my SATA III SSD, while a single pciex 1.0 lane has only 250MB/s and that is including the overhead which is like 20%, so the real transfer bandwith of a single lane on pciex 1.0 is around 210MB/s.

Last edited by MARSTG; June 18, 2012 at 02:20 PM.