View Single Post
Old June 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You would put your operating system and all your installs on your SSD. That will drastically reduce windows boot times as well as program load times (quite substantially, too, I might add). You would then use your 2TB for your larger media files, all of your music, movies and raw/edited videos.

I would also add a partition on your 2TB and use it to periodically back up your SSD.

I'd like to say 'trust me, it'll make a HUGE difference', but you don't know me, and that's so cliché anyways. But honestly, there's not much you can do these days to upgrade the general feel and 'snappiness' of your computer that beats a Solid State Drive. Everyone on this website who has an SSD will back me on this.

Now, you don't have to get the Intel 520 series. That is a very fast drive, but also very expensive. The Crucial M4 is almost as fast, and is a whole hell of a lot cheaper. The only reason I recommended the 520 series is for a couple of reasons:

It has the best reviews of the bunch;
Intel doesn't put their name on 'crap';
Bling factor - your computer deserves it.

The Intel 520 series is to the Crucial M4 as the 3930K is to the 3770K. It's only a little faster/better, a whole hell of a lot more expensive, but really cool and everybody wants one.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; June 15, 2012 at 02:46 PM.