View Single Post
Old June 14, 2012, 12:14 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Ok, now here is how things are. If you look at both of those quotes and start really thinking about it you will the true irony about this screen. As stated in that Anandtech article, the maximum scale is 1920x1200. This means that the one thing that I could have seen as a benefit of this display which is mentioned in the second quote was working with photos. See I thought when I first heard about this was yes looking at nice high res photos would look great, but the kicker is that you do not get any more screen real estate as you do with a 1920x1200 display, none. So in the second quote you take that 12gb+ raw, and it will not look any better on this display than it would on a 1920x1200 one. You will still have to scroll all over the place to see the image. Hell those large images will look the same but I will see more of them on my 27" Dell. Oh and even the people defending the screen agree as seen in the following quote:
I was going to comment more on this, but there isn't enough information about how specifically images (other than UI elements) in programs scale. I suspect image editing programs will have some apis they can use in order to display images at their full resolution. This is mostly going to be a nice feature for looking at images though, unless you really enjoy using photoshop with your face 6 inches from the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Oh and about everything looking so good on it, well of course. It is a very nice screen, plain and simple, but that does not mean it is any better than a top quality 1920x1200 screen. Yes if it did not have that built in scaling or at least let you run it at the actual native res then sure it would be extremely nice with the right images, but it does not.
Well, the scaling situation isn't as bad as you make out here - in fact, it's a lot better. Text and UI elements in supported programs will all be rendered at the full unscaled 2880x1440 resolution, at an appropriate size for the scaling option chosen. Webpages are able to show full unscaled images - it works the same as the new ipad, where webpages can serve up high resolution images based on user agent.

The scaling is just there to deal with combinations of things which are at lower and higher resolutions. Essentially if you run at the 1440x900 scaling, you are running at the full 2880x1440 resolution, where stuff that doesn't have high-resolution versions available will be displayed pixel doubled, so they'll look the same as on a 1440x900 display.