View Single Post
Old June 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
edit: meh I dont care anymore. Enjoy your apple flavored Kolaid.

Oh and I got chuckle out of the top comment on Anads "preview" (I guess you would call it)

"The problem is that you won't be able to get a screenshot of that, because screenshotting takes place before the GPU's output scaling.

I scaled the AnandTech screenshots (using IrfanView, using the Lanczos filter), and the "1024x600" and "1280x800" modes will look a bit fuzzy to someone with good vision sitting very close, but it's quite serviceable...."

Yeah serviceable aint the same as "revolutionary" :P

I don't own any Apple products (I do own Windows and Linux PCs, and Android and Windows Phone devices), nor do I plan to purchase any Apple products in the foreseeable future, so I'm not sure how apple flavored Kolaid would be useful to me.

That commentor on Anandtech is misunderstanding how the scaling works - of course every image is 2880x1800; that's the only resolution that the screen runs at. Output scaling is done at the OS level, and the screengrabbed images are exactly what are shown on the screen; resizing screenshots shows nothing useful.

A blurb from the overall display analysis on Anandtech:

"Even at the non-integer scaled 1680 x 1050 setting, the Retina Display looks a lot better than last year's high-res panel. It looks like Apple actually renders the screen at twice the selected resolution before scaling it to fit the 2880 x 1800 panel (in other words, at 1920 x 1200 Apple is rendering everything at 3840 x 2400 (!) before scaling - this is likely where the perf impact is seen, but I'm trying to find a way to quantify that now). Everything just looks better. I also appreciate how quick it is to switch between resolutions on OS X. When I'm doing a lot of work I prefer the 1920 x 1200 setting, but if I'm in content consumption mode I find myself happier at 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050."