Samsung Galaxy Note Review Comment Thread
View Single Post
June 8, 2012, 10:51 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
My System Specs
Have the Galaxy Note now for a few months and I love it and would do it again. A few 'notes':
- LTE is a bit messed up. I live in an area where LTE is not official, but I do get a signal in some parts of town. When I move in and out of LTE areas often, the Note will lose all connectivity (HSPA, Calls, sms, 3G, etc). You can reboot, or disable LTE to avoid it from happening. Bell employee put me on to this solution, as she had seen it a few times before. If you have Gingerbread, use mobile network settings to select "gsm/hspa(auto)". In ICS, hit *#2263# in the dialer to select "wcdma" and then "wcdma all" to disable LTE and just use HSPA.
- ICS update time is awful. Bell sales person told me end of April, then I was told May, and now its by the end of June. FYI, Telus has just pushed this update back to July....
- GREAT rom and support over at XDA forums. Several to choose from. The new "S-Note" app is awesome. I am using a rom by Team Perfection called Objection:
[RoM/THEMES]~[UCLE2]~TEAM PERFECTION'S ICS OBJECTION~6/08->Fast/Gr8 Battery/Instagram - xda-developers
I also used one by the Onlyone developers called HYFER that is also very good. Both could be used daily until Canadian carriers get their acts together. Some of these roms include apps and touchwiz from the Galaxy S3, including S-Voice.
- carrying this thing in your pocket is really no big deal. I wear boot-cut jeans and they fit in the pocket easily. Now that I am in cargo shorts its a piece of cake as well.
- tried many screen protectors, and sadly, many of them mess with the S-pen. Forget about a Zagg protector, as it leaves lines in the screen that lasts for days. Tried a Moshi that was generously given to me by a forum member here, but the S-pen lost sensitivity there too. I finally settled on the Glas.t glass protector and it is just like having no protector at all and the S-pen works great. Its is a good $30 though, but worth it. Folks don't believe I have a protector on it.
- got some Andida batteries and a charger on Ebay. They have slightly extra capacity, but I can't notice the difference from stock battery. In any case, I paid about $30 (iirc) for two batteries and a charger. That gives me three batteries.
- got it SIM unlocked for $30. Works on Rogers and Bell so far. Will take it to Asia this summer so I'll report back then.
I have left Apple for good I think. Several other people at work (for those who know my place of employment) are getting the Note or the S3 as their next phone after seeing my Note. Heck, even Kevin O'Leary was gushing over his S3 on Lang and O'Leary Exchange tonight and thinks the S3 and Android blows Apple out of the water at this time.
Fold for team #54196
My System Specs
Main(Blackie) Asus Rampage III Formula // F@H Rig(Foldy) Asus P6T
Blackie: i7 970 @4.0GHZ Heatkiller 3.0// Foldy: i7 970 @4.0GHZ EK Supreme
Blackie: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600mhz // Foldy: Mushkin 1600MHZ 6GB
Blackie: Evga GTX 580 1.5GB Koolance WB Foldy: Zotac GTX 460 768MB
Blackie: OCZ Vertex 2 240GB, Seagate 3TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Black 1TB Foldy: Intel X25-M 80GB Gen2, WB Black 500GB Externals: WD Green 1.5TB, WD Green 1TB
Blackie: Corsair AX1200w // Foldy: Enermax Revo85+ 1050W
Blackie: Corsair 800D // Foldy: CM HAF 932
Blackie: X-fi Titanium Pro
Blackie: LG Blu-ray writer // Foldy: LG Blu-ray rom
Blackie: Samsung 2693HM 25.5in // Foldy: Acer H213HBMID 21.5in
Blackie: W7 Ultimate 64-bit // Foldy: W7 Pro 64-bit
View Public Profile
Send a private message to chrisk
Find all posts by chrisk