View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
frontier204 frontier204 is offline
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,223

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinosaur View Post
I then tried the 150GB raptor in the external enclosure and I heard spark sounds, smelled burnt stuff and saw smoke coming out of the back of the enclosure. I also got electrocuted when I touched the side of the external enclosure to try and hit the off switch

I don't know if WD will call FBI and give them my info
I looked at WD's return policy and they say nothing about what they'll do with your data, except:
Quote:
Western Digital shall have no liability with respect to (a) data lost, regardless of the cause, (b) data recovery services, or (c) data contained in any Product placed in Western Digitals' possession. Western Digital is not liable for and has no obligation to pay for any cost associated with data recovery.
WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Packaging and Shipping Instructions
From that it shows they won't even try to get into your data unless someone's really interested, or something clearly visible on the HDD sparks a police investigation...

It sounds like the power connector / cord to your external enclosure is to blame, although I wouldn't advise you try to test that thing again unless you know how to handle faulty electronics. My guess is from the shock you received - that for sure means something's up with the grounding of the enclosure, or you were dragging your feet with wool socks on carpet for a couple minutes before touching the enclosure...

As for backtracking the failure, I'd look at anything that connects to the hard drives, starting with power supply cables, power supply, then data cables, then whatever may be on the other side of the data cables.
__________________
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]
Reply With Quote