View Single Post
Old May 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
My complaint was the general tone of the conclusion from the GTX 670 review is not reflective of the true competitiveness of AMD HD 7970 / 7950 vs Nvidia GTX 680 / 670.

"With performance that comes awfully close to a fully enabled GK104, the GTX 670 poses a nightmare scenario for AMD. Fresh off a round of price drops, they now have to contend with a card that retails for the same price as a HD 7950 but runs dead even with a HD 7970 in everything except multi monitor resolutions. To add insult to injury, the Radeon cards fight a losing battle in the performance per watt and acoustics categories as well. Free game offer or not, without another $50 to $75 shaved off, we canít think of a single scenario where a gamer should choose a Tahiti-based card over the GTX 670. "

Depending on the games GTX 680 / GTX 670 trade blows with HD 7970 / 7950. Custom HD 7900 cards with excellent cooling solutions like Sapphire HD 7970 / 7950 Dual X have been available for more than 3 months now. So the acoustics is a moot point. Do your research and buy the good ones like Sapphire HD 7970 / 7950 Dual X

Sapphire HD 7950 Dual Fan OC Review

"Where the Dual Fan really stands out as unique is in the cooling category. Sapphire has consistently shown that their heatsink engineers are some of the best around and this HD 7950 does nothing but cement that belief in our minds. Not only does the Dual Fan post incredible temperature results at both standard and overclocked speeds but it is almost as quiet at full load as other cardsí idle fan states. "

With HD 7950 OC cards from various vendors having been available from launch day and with overclocking taken into account its very competitive. Look at forums where users have been pushing the HD 7900 series on stock and extra voltage to excellent speeds.

[Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970 Owners Thread

HD 7900 OC cards are available with excellent clock headroom at good prices

Sapphire HD 7950 OC (950 Mhz) - USD 409
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100352OCSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Sapphire HD 7970 OC (1000 Mhz) - USD 449
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11197-01-40G)

There are demanding games like Alan Wake, Metro 2033, Crysis Warhead, Witcher 2, Crysis 2 where HD 7900 cards really shine when looking at OC'd performance. You have to realize that it depends on your perspective whether you value the compute performance of HD 7900 series. My belief is when more games use complex compute shaders extensively as in Metro 2033 with DOF the HD 7900 series will truly be appreciated. How you arrive at a certain conclusion depends on your line of thinking. For me the HD 7900 series is a scalable high performance architecture with enough strengths and forward looking design (bandwidth and compute) wrt competition. If you believe otherwise so be it. I have stopped losing my cool. So i am ok with your personal attacks.
For the noise reduced custom heatsinks you could say the same about the 570 that it will be even quieter.

At the end of the day unless you are exclusively playing a game where the 7970 beats out a 670/680 nvidia is a better buy. There is no point in denying it and looking up every obscure situation unless you find yourself solely in that situation. Sky has given the most accurate info he can provide and detailed as many situations as he could and has explained the situations. He incourages people to look at other reviews before purchasing and is completely transparent as you have probably come to realize from his responses.

I dont see any more reason that this thread questioning SKY's methodology should continue because all of the information is there to see for those who care to read it and comprehend it. Unless you want to continue with all the specific levels of specific games that amd might come closer to competing with nvidia in...

Bottomline for me is that i like to dabble.in a lot of games and nvidia is better in most categories in the most games and for me nvidia is a better purchase. Your bottomline can be different but I personally believe my bottomline is shared with most people and SKY's review reflects that but also gives all the information the the outliers may need. If you play nothing but metro 2933 on 2560x1600 buy a 7970 for less than the 680 otherwise just get the 680 and same goes for.the 570 if you play nothing but games where amd wins buy amd.

Sorry for typos i wrote this on my cell phone.