View Single Post
Old May 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_kidd View Post
This happens every time I try to play Tf2, the witcher, or L4D2. So as soon as any of these games get past the loading screen to actually enter a game (or server loading screen in tf2/l4d2), The screen will flicker to black, the fans in my case stop momentarily, and the games crash giving the error Hl2.exe has had an error... If I do this in windowed mode, the bottom gives an error saying "Driver ati driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" This happens every time.

This is a new pc I just built, and has been doing so since I started trying to run these games. There had been one time where TF2 and the witcher both worked, and that was after I installed Dirt 2 (and Directx 11 was installed on my system). They then proceeded not to work after I tweaked my ram settings in the bios (and reverted).

Specs are as follows:

amd phenom ii x4 970
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG)
Windows 7 64bit ultimate.

Things I've done so far to try and fix:

Stripped out all video drivers and reinstalled them about a dozen times (including using a driver sweeper on some passes)

Prevented windows from auto installing drivers when none are present (to make sure it doesn't do so while I install official ones)

Installed drivers from original Dvd and official site

Over clock, Under clock, Change idle core/memory clock, turn up fan

Flash bios to newest version

Overclock ram/return to normal speeds

Run memtest86 (0 errors returned)

Tried playing with default windows drivers (not amd official)

I'll post if I remember anything else. Also these game swere tried with a fresh DL from steam, all come up validated and defragged.

I can run Dirt2 at 1920 x 1080 at ultra settings w/ full antialiasing and anistrophic filtering, so I don't believe the card is over heating. I've also bench tested it in MSI Kombustor, and it runs just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?? This is really killing me because I don't want to return the card since I have seen that it offers some great performance...
Ok . I tried everything. Uninstall, reinstall, everything. So I put the card away. Tried It again with the same results. I phoned MSI and talked with someone and he said nothing that everyone else is not saying. Power, fresh install, all that stuff...He even told me it was refurbished with them and up to spec. I got and RMA number and an email from them. I filled out a little form and a description of what was going on. "driver has stopped responding and has recovered" So I sent it out that day, only cost me 13 bucks to ship with the Canadian post to Markham Ontario. It was there at 12:10 P.M and they knew what was wrong because they sent me a new one at 12:38 P.m that day. It never said what the problem was but It must have been the card because the card had a different serial number.

So my answer to everyone is just get and RMA number and send it out.