View Single Post
Old May 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
This. If you're buying a laptop for gaming, then obviously you wouldn't be looking at ultraportables to begin with.

Slimline notebook, ultrabooks, whatever the hell people want to call them, were aimed at the market of people tired of carrying around massive machines when 90% of the work they do doesn't require it. During college I would've loved going around with a much smaller laptop, considering I rarely used it for more than note taking and maybe the occational Street Fighter 3 when I was bored in class.

Are you getting less hardware for your cash? Maybe. But until they find a cheaper way of manufacturing that stuff in a very small form factor, prices will always be this way.
I am hoping that amd trinity can change that perception.. With the recent release of a slew of 'sleekbooks' from hp, it might actually be possible within the year. Just waiting for some reviews to pop up soon. Imho, mobile gpus are really benefiting from the die shrink and gaming ultrabooks (as in thin and light) will be a reality soon enough.