View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Default New gaming build.. torn between AMD and Intel

Hey! New to the forum and I am planning on my first gaming build this summer. The games I want to be able to play aren't too intense. Star Wars MMO, Final Fantasy 14 online, Starcraft II online, etc.. I have a Macbook Pro for school/internet, so I think I'll wear that one out and not use this new build for anything else but gaming for now. (Maybe an upgradeable build so when the laptop needs replacing, I can just upgrade this?)

Aside from work, I have been 100% Apple these past 3 years, so I feel out of the loop as far as newer CPUs and things.
My budget is pretty much $800 max.. including Windows 7. No big deal if I go over a bit, but I would like to stick to the budget.

I know a gaming computer relies #1 on cpu/video card.. so I am deciding between a cheaper:

1. AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com at $120

or maybe go for a newer

2. Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53550 at $220

The AMD has great reviews!, even as recent as today, even though its an older processor. The IvyBridge is obviously newer, but they are close in GHZ.. so I'm lost as far as is the Intel worth it? I know intel makes you change MOBOs every 2 generations or so.. which sounds costly as well.

For the video card, am I correct when I read/believed that by matching the price of the video card to the price of the cpu, you wont have purchased an inferior or superior card vs the cpu, resulting in bottlenecking, and they will complement each other? thanks for any help!!

Graphics card choice so far: EVGA 01G-P3-1557-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti

EVGA 01G-P3-1557-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Mini-HDMI, Dual DVI, DirectX 11 SLI Ready, at TigerDirect.com

Last edited by mikal; May 6, 2012 at 04:57 PM.