View Single Post
Old April 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Trial Member

Hi, another person having problems with an ASUS RMA.

I have an ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard that I have been using for a little over two years.

It was originally purchased on Newegg on 3/30/2012 (Invoice #58813518, Order #97965162) and yesterday, while using my computer as usual, I began to smell smoke and looked at my case to find a buildup of smoke inside. I turned off the computer and unplugged it from the outlet. After waiting for the smoke and burnt electronics smell to dissipate, I opened up my computer case to find that part of the motherboard had burned off and that there was exposed copper.

I filled out the RMA form online only to find out that this motherboard was not covered under ASUS Premium Service (APS) when it was explicitly stated to be when I had first purchased the item so I would not be able to cross-ship and instead would have to wait 3-4 weeks for a regular RMA to work out (my friend's recent RMA with ASUS over a motherboard took a month) which was not acceptable. I called ASUS at 1-812-282-2787 and was informed by the first person I spoke with that:

1) This motherboard was never covered by APS at any time. (Lie #1)
2) The damage to my motherboard (where it spontaneously burned) was considered physical damage and as such I would not be able to RMA it.

I asked to speak to a manager and he told me that he did not have a manager and therefore I could not speak to one (Lie #2). After that, I demanded to speak to his manager because it seemed very unlikely that there was nobody higher than him to talk to and he said that his manager (which supposedly did not exist) would just tell me the same thing. After getting him to finally transfer me to somebody else (who may or may not be a manager), that person reiterated that my motherboard spontaneously burning is considered physical damage and that they would not be able to RMA it. He also said that if I really wanted to, I could send it in anyway for them to inspect but the likely result is that I would have to pay for repairs and the process would take as long as a normal RMA (unacceptable on both counts).

If you could help me with this, that would be great. If not, that's fine. Either way this is likely to be my last ASUS product ever as their customer service is abysmal.

Service Case No.: NA1791559
Product Type: Motherboard
Product Model: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Serial No: A3M0AC273482
Problem (as described on my online RMA request form): Was on the computer as usual when I picked up the smell of smoke. Looked at my computer case and noticed a buildup of smoke inside. Turned off computer. After waiting for the smoke and smell to clear up, inspected everything inside the case and confirmed that smoke came from the motherboard. Copper exposure was discovered near white PCIe expansion slot.