View Single Post
Old April 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rookie

The Q6600 is built on the old 65nm technology and when you apply a load, they put out a lot of heat. Tasks rapidly bounce around from core to core but some programs lock specific tasks to specific cores. If one or two cores heat up briefly more than the other cores it is not a big deal. That's normal. Internally your CPU consists of two completely separate Core 2 Duo CPUs with some space in between them. It makes sense that Core 0 and Core 1 move in tandem and Core 2 and Core 3 will also move in tandem at times. At full load when running Prime95 Small FFTs, the actual temperature of all 4 cores will be very similar. Any difference is mostly sensor error and the fact that Intel deliberately raised the TJMax on the second set of cores to avoid all 4 cores reaching the thermal throttling point at the exact same time.

I am trying to understand your frustration but I can't. You have an older CPU that runs great so what's the problem? As long as your computer is stable then it doesn't matter what temperature it is running at. How many years has that Q6600 been running strong? I wouldn't invest a nickel in a super cooler to make some temperature numbers look nicer.

You might want to check out ThrottleStop which shows CPU temperature and load on a core by core basis. Both ThrottleStop and RealTemp have an "On Top" feature so you can watch the numbers as you are surfing the internet.

ThrottleStop 4.10
Downloads | Tech|Inferno

No matter what task you are running, the CPU is designed to go up to full speed immediately until the task is done. This means the core temperature can change very rapidly, up and down, over a short period of time. No worries. If your CPU has lasted this long then it is very unlikely that it is going to go KA-BOOM any time soon. The 65nm Core 2 Duo CPUs like you have were some of Intel's most rugged CPUs. They are far more durable than the 45nm Core 2 Duos that came after these.