View Single Post
Old April 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
Rookie

RealTemp uses a TJMax value of 100C by default for the Q6600 - G0 based on my actual testing of one of these processors. You are best off leaving that value as is in RealTemp. Changing that value will make your reported temperatures look nicer but they will probably be less accurate. Actual TJMax for the 2 cores on the right of these processors is often times closer to 105C. Run Prime 95 Small FFTs to fully load your CPU and then post a screen shot of RealTemp while that test is running.

The TJ Max numbers that Intel finally published were actually called TJ Target in the fine print. A target value of 90C is meaningless if actual TJ Max is closer to 100C. These early 65nm CPUs have some of Intel's best temperature sensors. As long as TJ Max is set correctly, you can get some very consistent temperatures out of these CPUs. Far better sensors than the crappy ones that Intel used on their 45nm Core 2 CPUs.

Edit: Here's my torture test of an E8400 for 3 hours while running Prime 95 with the heatsink fan deliberately turned off to make things interesting.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/276/hote8400fw5.png

It got cherry red for 3 hours but never skipped a beat and Prime 95 continued to run flawlessly. That is what I call, true stability testing. Don't worry about your core temperature. As long as your CPU can run reliably while fully loaded then everything is OK. Fixating on what temperature a stable CPU is running at is pointless. Intel builds some great technology into their CPUs with plenty of self protection features so it is difficult to fry one during normal use as well as during some not so normal use.

Last edited by unclewebb; April 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM.