View Single Post
Old April 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Enough looking, lets get some hardware in her.

The devil is in the details, a phrase I like to coin. When building it isn't just how the chassis functions as a whole but how easy it is to manage every small aspect of installation and re-installation. I felt strongly enough about it to note that my I/O shield install was the easiest out of all cases I have worked with to date. And that is saying something. Most times with a few choice words I wouldn't let my mother hear I get that damn little shield put into place. The Raider is built cleanly enough that it was a quick snap in and it was done. A small thing, I know..but worth mentioning. Its the details afterall.

Two standoffs are already installed into position before you even get started and the guide for the remainder is clearly seen just above where the PSU would go, the guide is easy to follow and the Case will conform to ATX, Flex ATX and mATX boards. The board glided in without a hitch followed closely thereafter with the PSU.

This is where the first evidence of future trouble became clear. The PSU in question was a Corsair AX1200, which happens to be one long unit. I was left with very little room to guide and manuever my cabling with. There was going to be some choice words in my future afterall.

That being said although tight the rubber grommets that are on the bottom of the case balanced the mighty AX1200 perfectly allowing me to install the screws to hold it in place without any issues. Next up came HDD installation and using the included HDD caddys (6 in total) it too was flawless. Tooless installation has come a long way and Bitfenix has embraced this quite well. Unlike cases using more traditional Rails, the cages glide in smoothy and still allow you to fasten them with thumb screws (provided in the included accessories) should you want a real secure fit. A nice touch really, something not often considered by other manufacturers.

Upon installing my GTX580 though, I found that the Cage was just too close to my liking. I could have probably forced the issue and jammed it in but I erred on the side of caution with this one. Luckily for me however the Raider takes this possible scenerio into full consideration and allows the upper part of the HDD cage to be removed in order to provision for larger Videocards. The double benefit of this is freeing up a little more Airflow for said cards to get by removing the restriction once in the way.
And the cage is removed by simply taking out two thumbscrews that hold it in place. I have to admit, the inclusion of thumbscrews vs traditional ones really adds value and simplicity to the design. Installations and removals become faster and more convienant to the end user. Its in the details, and Bitfenix has been paying attention.

Next in line and standing at attention was the poor lone ODD. A solitary ASUS unit that has seen 4 builds now and I highly doubt will die before ODD's are finally suplemented with Flash Drives for OS installs.
The First and top blanking plate is removed but you do have to take both the top mesh plate and front panel off in order to pop it out. Not that that is complicated or time consuming. Rather it is on par with almost every other install I have ever done and I cannot find fault in having to do it that way.
A good word of caution though is to have the far side panel off as well and to remove the tie wrap that to this point has held in all your front panel connectivity. This is done so the ODD installation doesn't hit a snag on said cables and risk damaging one of them. You can then with the freed up cables tuck them onto the ODD drive and away from sight. Again, a slight snag but a small issue really.

PSU routing was next on my list of challanges to tackle and I won't deny I was loving the absolute Volume of room provided to route cables as well as all the hard points in which to use tie wraps to secure said cables in place. You might not be able to tell from the outside but the space provided is invaluable to the neat freak with cable. A big bravo for accomplishing this without comprimising a true loss in space anywhere else or increasing the footprint over other similar mid-towers. Most cases that space behind the motherboard tray is cramped and managing everything in a typical midtower can be a true challange.
Important to note too is the Molex Connector that is tied off and wired into all 3 of the fans and fan controller. Make sure you remember to route a Molex connector back there or you will do what I did and have the case fire up first time with Zero cooling.
Not a good idea when the 580 is already stuffed inside.
Given the cramped nature of the space between the HDD cage and PSU it took a lot of finesse to get every cable to co-operate though I did manage. Most of us who use standard depth PSU's will have absolutely zero issues in this regard and shouldn't really fault a case like this. After all I highly doubt most of us will stuff enough gear inside a mid-tower to justify a Power supply of that magnitude.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; April 6, 2012 at 09:41 PM.