View Single Post
Old April 2, 2012, 01:25 AM
Rookie

thanks for your reply..
That's a good question, the reason is, i can buy a second hand i7-930 and 12Gb of RAM from a friend for $100, and the P6x58-E Pro would be approx $180-> $200.
So I'm thinking that this is a cost effective route, allowing me to spend more on the hard drive, and allowing a better opportunity to upgrade the motherboard and CPU at a later date
when i would then get the X79 i7-3930 or similar later on, then the hard drive would be still be pretty up to date.

So, i'd like to get advise on the best SSD, available.
There seems to be conflicting views of benchmarks on different SSD's, but the vertex3 "seems" to top the charts more often than not.
I've described the type of work the m/c will be used for, in case it helps the choice. The mesh files would typically be about 20mb each, and i'd be working with 10 to 20 of these at once.

I've just looked at the 2 links you've suggested, and they seem to contradict slightly, if you look at the windows7 boot times, in one review the intel is right up there with the revodrive and the vertex3 is way behind,
In the other review the intel and the vertex3 are top of the list.
I realise there are lots of factors to consider, that's why i'd like opinions (again, thank you for your input)
The thing that scared me with the revodrive was the CPU usage, and what it could do to overall performance, as well as the lack of trim..

By the way this Forum is by far the best I've found, and the info available is second to none..