View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Default Dataplex driver for Synapse is amazingly restrictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Dataplex is NOT saying you can only change one part. or X parts in total. All you need do is change one part at a time. IF by some bad luck your rig nukes itself (say mobo dies)...drop OCZ a line and they will help you. In the mean time...you will be reinstalling the OS first anyways as this software installs AFTER the OS.
I was very enthusiastic when I read this review, but I have now checked the OCS forum on the Synapse.

Synapse OCZ synapse cache 128Mb: Nightmare to get it to work: I beg for help - Page 2

OCZ says:

"Here are the things you MUST do when installing a synapse drive and dataplex.

1 you MUST fresh install, no imaging
2 you MUST complete all the installation before installing dataplex....this means you are fixed to 1 sata driver, once Dataplex is installed the ONLY way to update is to uninstall Dataplex then update.
3 once the system is fully installed and settled then you install Dataplex...once you hit this point... regard the system as being locked down. You MUST ONLY enable automatic updates for critical updates ONLY. It is actually best to disable auto updates and do them manually so that you can choose to NOT install updated drivers.

If you deviate from this...we can not guarantee you will not see issues."

"Updates....critical updates are supported, driver changes (chipset/ahci/sata) are not as any driver change will result in a restore point and a fresh device being detected, often this results in a licensing issue with dataplex...which leads to dataplex service stopping...which leads to a long delay at the reboot....which leads to the end user pushing the power button............which leads to corruption.

so..you load 1 driver and you stick with it...when Nvelo develop a way so this is not specifically needed we will pass the into to you. We are now thinking well over 50% of all issues are caused by end users updating drivers etc with dataplex running, this causes the scenario above which causes the improper shutdown error many see."

The thread continues with a number of users becoming even more irate when they find out what a mess it is. I'm very sorry to see this because the cache drive seemed like exactly what I needed. But I wouldn't buy one now.