View Single Post
Old March 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba View Post
I registered just to reply this thread. Damn some ppl are dumb thinking "oh yea I have 400 rms subwoofer no wai ~200rms amplifier will break it" but matter of fact it does. You should always have more power in your amplifier than subwoofer. I wonder when you are coming here to cry that you burned your subwoofer.

When you try to take more power from your amplifier than it can give, the amplifier will overdrive and clip and it will cause compressed signal. Don't understand?
The silent part of the music will play louder, while the louder parts have reached their max potential. Power load will raise and comes more continuously. Heat will raise and voice coil don't have time to cool down.

There should always be about 100-200W more power in amplifier than sub.

"Oh you don't know you haven't bought shit to Z5500 dont know what it sounds like" bla bla bla, guess what? I managed to burn quality 2x4ohm 250W RMS subwoofer with this shitty 188W Z5500 amplifier. Just this ~50W power difference between amplifier and sub.

My two cents. Have fun with your subwoofer
Just ran across this old thread... Funny this guy says this, because I've run the sub since I made the post, for a year, and I ran it very hard with several parties, as loud as it would possibly run. Now my brother runs the system.

Still no blown subwoofer.... so I can't agree with your statement. I've read time and time again that you should have higher wattage subs than the amp so you don't blow them. Seems to have worked. You can also run higher rated amp than your subs as long as you watch the volume. They both work.

If wired correctly to get 8 ohms, you should have no problems. The speakers can handle 350W RMS, if the amp is only providing 188, it won't blow the speakers at max output, and the amp as long as it is cooled properly, will not blow either. The Z5500 has thermal protection also so it will shut off if too hot, which I've had happen. As long as it's not clipping the subwoofer, which doesn't happen at all with my setup, it's fine. You shouldn't run a 100W amp with a 1200W subwoofer, I agree, but calling me dumb for what I've done is silly.

Also, check your spelling before you call people dumb.

Felt an update was necessary since this thread got a lot of hits. Ignore this guy. He blew his subwoofer from other problems, not wattage differences