View Single Post
Old March 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
Trial Member

Don't do it!!! Google is your friend!

I was curious about this heatsink my self and this page was the third result. The first page I found was a review stating that this heatsink could handle an overclocked i7-980x as well as Prolimatech Megahelms in the same setup. The second said that it was the fourth best by four degrees in a test of twenty or so heatsinks. The third one said that you should replace it with a 212, and so I decided to register in order to tell you not to.

Your heatsink is awesome, use it. It competes with $70 heatsinks (it in fact is available for about $50 right now) and also has two fan modes: quiet at 20db and high at 35db - this means that if you aren't going for a heavy overclock you can maintain good temperatures while keeping things really quiet.

When people say never to use the stock intel heatsink they mean the low-profile one with the heatpads that's bundled with almost all of their processors. Your heatsink is not that heatsink, it is a special heatsink developed for the i7-980x (that $1000 hexacore that came out a few years ago) and it is great. Google it. If it looks anything like the pictures (really big block made of metal fins with an attachable fan) you have an awesome heatsink. If it's a smaller, low-profile one with a sticker on it and heat pads on the bottom (ie no thermal paste needed) than junk it, but buy an arctic freezer 7 instead of the 212

Have a nice day!