View Single Post
Old March 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, i'm going to chime in with my two cents here.

First off and IMO the Quadtron TV is a waste of money. You are paying more money for a 4th pixel to display yellow when there is not a single camera used in the industry that records more then red/green/blue. Do some looking aroundon that subject and I think you might be suprised that's it's really a useless technology and a gimick at best. I prefer Samsung myself...and have 2(46" and 40") to back it up.

As for the HTPC, the A6-3650 APU is a good choice as 3.0Charlie said, but I would also look into the new Ivy Bridge cpu's that are coming out. I have seen some previews of the preformance of the HD4000 integrated graphics chip and it looks very promising(and suprising since Intel has not been know for their graphics in the past) for even light gaming. Both the AMD and intel offerings can handle Blu-ray/DVD playback no problem.

For the Blu-Ray drive I again like the Samsung drives. i have 2 diferent ones and they have played everything I have thrown at them.
Canada Computers | CD/DVD/RW /Blu-Ray Drives | Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Black 12X BLU-RAY BD-ROM 16X DVD-Writer SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo W/ Power DVD Software

Ram wise.....4GB, more then enough for anything you might want to do. And the price on these is awesome right now.
Canada Computers | Memory | Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM (KVR1333D3N9/4G)

For the GPU, I'm a bit torn. I know that with either CPU you may nothave a use for a GPU but I though I would go into it anyways. I have used both AMD/ATI and nVidia in my HTPC and so far have found the nVidia to be easiest to configure and just gave me less hassel. I have used an older ATI 2600XT 256MB and newer AMD/ATI 5450 1GB DDR3. Both card from AMD/ATI worked but they have so many options for configuring(which some people like) that it can be a bit of a nightmare and very time consuming to figure out the right combination for you particuar tv(plus they always had strange graphics anomolies on my tv). I currently have a Zotac 440 GT 1GB DDR3 (nVidia) in my HTPC and it works great, even when doing some moderate 1080P Left 4 Dead gaming. I would say if you want a card that you can plug in and just roll with it, go for the nVidia. If you want to have lots of configurable options, AMD/ATI is the way to go. Just do your reserch on which card is the quiestest(fan or fanless) for you HTPC. No one wants to hear the fan over the movie.

Wireless......get a wireless card One fron the same manufaturer of your router to make it hook up easier.

One thing i'm not sure if you have considered is the upgrade path for your audio. You caould leave the aidio hooked up to the Edifier speakers or hook it up to the TV via HDMI or some other way. If you get a reciever later on you would probably be able to hook the audio up to that via HDMI so that then you play your Blu-Ray's you can get DolbyHD and DTS-HD audio. Just something to think about.

Ok, that's it for me. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Ravenor; March 10, 2012 at 09:26 PM.