View Single Post
Old March 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Could someone please explain the importance of stress testing an overclock and what a stable overclock is?

I have an extremely stubborn friend who wants to "quickly jump his friends new i5 2500k to 5 ghz while he isn't looking". I explain to him this is not a safe or smart thing to do and it has to be properly stress tested and most likely slowly stepped up to 5 ghz. He follows up with responses like "psssssssssht" and "meh" when I tell him to properly stress test and step it up slowly since he's no expert overclocker. He then proceeds to say stuff like "I run Starcraft 2 for 12 hours" or "you can stress it in the bios" which is apparently how he made sure his was stable. From what I have read all over the net this is wrong.

I am just hoping to have some of the experts clear things up for me and him and our other friend because he clearly won't listen to me since I am a n00b and new to all this. I'm sure the 3rd party dude with the shiny new 2500k machine would also really appreciate it if anyone can chime in to knock some sense into the fool.

Thanks a bunch.
my opinion, this is a bag of worms.

Stress testing is to be sure your overclock is stable in the ABSOLUTE LIMITS of what the CPU can do...
HOWEVER under MOST real world situations it will NEVER hit the limits.
But on another hand, if your in the midst of playing starcraft at the 11th hour and your blue screen without doing any sort of stress test, how do you REALLY know that the cpu oc wasn't at fault?
On the other hand, i believe ALL cpu's will fail stressing after a certain amount of time.

Short and sweet, Stressing is about making you comfortable, and your overclocking path valid for you and others to discuss.

on that point, with any world record of overclocking, what do they do to show a stable overclock?