View Single Post
Old March 2, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Can someone please explain the importance of Stress test please?

Could someone please explain the importance of stress testing an overclock and what a stable overclock is?

I have an extremely stubborn friend who wants to "quickly jump his friends new i5 2500k to 5 ghz while he isn't looking". I explain to him this is not a safe or smart thing to do and it has to be properly stress tested and most likely slowly stepped up to 5 ghz. He follows up with responses like "psssssssssht" and "meh" when I tell him to properly stress test and step it up slowly since he's no expert overclocker. He then proceeds to say stuff like "I run Starcraft 2 for 12 hours" or "you can stress it in the bios" which is apparently how he made sure his was stable. From what I have read all over the net this is wrong.

I am just hoping to have some of the experts clear things up for me and him and our other friend because he clearly won't listen to me since I am a n00b and new to all this. I'm sure the 3rd party dude with the shiny new 2500k machine would also really appreciate it if anyone can chime in to knock some sense into the fool.

Thanks a bunch.