View Single Post
Old March 1, 2012, 09:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I still don't get what you're trying to say.

Blizzard was a company; Activision was a company. the companies had a merger. In the merger, they realized they had duplicated departments. They merged the workforce of those departments.

How many units are you saying there are at Activision-Blizzard? Are you trying to say that there are Activision employees, Blizzard employees, and Activision-Blizzard employees?
Activision-Blizzard is the parent company. Blizzard Entertainment is a subsidiary unit of Activision-Blizzard. Corporate governance is another way of explaining this: Robert Kotick is CEO of Activision-Blizzard. Mike Morhaine is president and CEO of Blizzard Entertainment. Eric Hershberg is CEO of Activison Publishing.

Or to give you a parallel. Activision-Blizzard is like the military -- it has branches. An soldier is a member of the Army, but still a member of the military.

Technically, Activision and Blizzard did not merge. Activision merged with Vivendi Games, which owned Blizzard. The combined company decided to go with the name Activision-Blizzard for marketing purposes. They then arranged the company so that Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Publishing were the two primary operating units. Activision Publishing largely does handheld and console (including PC ports, i.e. Call of Duty) games, while Blizzard Entertainment handles PC and online subscription games (i.e. StarCraft).

The cuts were made at Blizzard Entertainment, a unit of Activision-Blizzard. Activision-Blizzard has (or had) over 7000 employees, according to the company's website.

If you work for Blizzard, you work for Activision-Blizzard in the grand scheme of things.