Thread: Guild Wars 2
View Single Post
Old February 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Well I wouldn't say spikes were what ruined the game. Good guilds would split on a spike team since spike teams generally had difficulties dealing with splits.

I would say the fact the constantly nerfed things instead of buffing less used skills hurt the game. That and a couple if very broken skills/skill combinations taking too long to be dealt with (the original spirit spam, IWAY, SS/Fear Me). The only thing dedicated healing classes did was limit build possibilities since you typically had to use up two of the team slots for healers (three originally before boon prots and the other "continents" came along).)
I'm not just talking about dedicated spikes, but coordinated damage in general. The fact that you could have 2-3 guys work together to kill someone instantly broke the game balance. Sure a good prot could pre-prot, but only until you run out of energy or make a mistake. In which case you're forcing your partner to use a bad skill called Infuse Health. Pressure oriented builds were rarely viable in the metagame unless the skills involved were completely broken at the time or it was a "spike" pressure.

The devs knew about this and that's probably why they completely changed the damage/health ratio in GW2. Pressure oriented play has less of an initial learning curve and is frankly a lot more fun to play. Especially when it's all big damage numbers popping up on your screen.