View Single Post
Old February 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default OCZ -- failure that could have been a triumph

Company Name: OCZ
Product: Vertex 2 Extended (60 GB, 34nm)
Warranty Period: 3 Years
Date purchased: Oct 25, 2010
Date RMAed: April 18, 2011; June 22, 2011; Sept. 11, 2011
Where it was sent to: Markham, Ontario
Ease of RMA: 5
Any extra fees?: No
Wait time: RMA authorization/shipping label 1 business day; 3 days; 8 days
Details: Drive first died in April; replacement lasted six weeks. OCZ covered shipping both ways for the second RMA at my request. At that point, they were doing well other than my having to remind Markham to send me a shipping label twice and asking via the forum support staff to ensure I received a drive with the same 34-nm NAND I purchased to ensure equal capacity and speed.

Third red-light death nine weeks later, and OCZ again covered shipping. This time it took five business days to get the RMA, and another three for the shipping label. In my initial ticket I asked for and was told I would get a refund instead of continuing what was going to be an obviously expensive pattern.

That's when things started to really break down. The offer was based on the then-current price of a Vertex 2 Extended at C$99; I purchased for C$144 a drive with 60 GB of usable capacity built with 16 chips of 34-nm NAND. The drive identified by Vinh Nguyen out of Markham was a drive with 55GB of usable capacity built with 8 chips of 25-nm NAND. Despite carrying the same part number it is a slower, smaller, less durable and much cheaper product. It took a week of wrangling but they eventually agreed to refund me based on my actual purchase price (the most recent store price for my drive was actually higher than what I paid) not including taxes.

On Oct. 11, Vinh told me the process would take two to three weeks.

On Oct. 14, Victor Cheung e-mailed me to say that my drive had been sent to the U.S. office, tested as having no fault and it would be returned to me. I replied asking what caused this drive, like the prior two, to freeze/crash/BSOD my computer, be unable to be detected until power-cycled, and to throw a red status light whenever it locked? I also attached a photo of the drive with the red error light illuminated. Victor replied to say he'd forward my message to the U.S. head office.

Oct. 20, RMA status page says OCZ received my drive. It was delivered to Markham on Sept. 23.

After hearing nothing since Oct. 14, I sent inquiries by the e-mail, forum posts, and PMs to forum support staff on Nov. 9 and 28, Dec. 12 and 24. I'd either not get a reply or be told that it should only take a couple of weeks to process the refund (was told it was submitted on Oct. 31). Finally received a PM on Jan. 5 saying the cheque was mailed out on Jan. 3. Received the cheque in due time and was able to deposit it.

Summary: 22 e-mails, four PMs, seven forum posts, four ticket comments and SIXTEEN WEEKS to process a refund.

Satisfaction: 3 (would have been 9 for a manufacturer to refund a retail price if it hadn't been such a tortuous process)

Last edited by Galcobar; February 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM.