View Single Post
Old February 8, 2012, 06:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New-ish build specific advice needed!

Hello Hello!!!

I'll start by explaining what i need to do, followed up by what i currently have and *think* i need to replace, then hopefully one of you chaps/chappettes, will be able to help me.

So i'm currently a student and i need to turn my current computer into something capable of running 5-6 VMs that aren't dialed down to ridiculously low specs (like under a gig of ram etc etc). That being said when i built this machine, i made one massive mistake i cheaped out on the mobo, and it's been biting me in the ass ever since, without further a-do my setup:

i7 2600k
850w power supply(modular if it makes a difference)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3
msi gtx 570
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 1.5V Memory Kit
OCZ Vertex 3 128gb as my boot ssd
another 1.5tb of hard drives neither of which is sata 3

I don't think i'm missing much that matter case and audio card don't really matter, in terms of what i think needs to be changed. mobo for sure, more ram? since its 2x4 i was wondering whether i should just get rid of it and try to buy 4x8gb or would that just be overkill? I really don't know much about what's on the market these days, last i checked was a year back. After a quick review i finally concluded maybe
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO my budget for mobo is around 200$, anything else you suggest budget wise i'd say add MAX 300$ more for anything else.

Well that's the gist of it, thanks in advance

Erik