View Single Post
Old January 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I don't ignore your claim; I dispute that consoles hold back PC gaming. Games like Mass Effect and Skyrim have extremely large budgets that are made possible by the large number of console gamers. They exist as they do because of the large console gaming market.

Modern games require extremely large budgets to develop high detail content. Increasing the level of detail not only requires more people (coders, artists, management, support), but also new hardware, software and infrastructure. There are also very big training and scaling challenges across the board.

So it's impossible to imagine what Skyrim and Mass Effect would be without the market muscle of console gamers funding them. If they had greater detail, there would be significantly less content. In any case, they would probably be completely different.

I'm speaking generally. There are obvious exceptions such as Blizzard. But PC gaming has never been large enough to support dozens of Blizzards. Even Blizzard releases games with very moderate specs which aren't showcases of PC power.

The truth is, PC gaming is held back by its inherent flaws which make it too inconvenient and expensive for most users and publishers. Therefore the market is relatively small, catering primarily to niche communities and genres that don't work well on consoles. Eventually, most of the best PC Dev teams simply outgrow the market.
I dont know if I remember properly as its been a while but wasnt the cards in the 360/PS3 much better compared to what was out at the time then the 6670 will be next year?

either way, I am looking forward to DX11 being widespread and not having to use DX9 anymore.