View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I don't think you are understanding the situation. We don't care about consoles other than the fact that console gaming holds back PC gaming. It is extremely relevant especially when you look at the garbage companies are putting out now *Cough* MW3. Console are also burdened with other processes and regardless new games that aren't made for PC first aren't going to be up to par with PC gamers standards.
How well custom hardware might perform in a commodity Windows PC is irrelevant. The PC can be an awesome general purpose device, but it is always far from efficient. Console hardware is so tightly integrated that there are no reasonable comparisons such as "the Xbox 360 has the same power as a GTX xxx." Statements like that will only be true in vague, very general way and therefore are effectively worthless. How the hardware is utilized is too different.

PC gaming is a topic on its own. I don't believe that consoles "hold back" any PC games. There is no "what if" scenario; if gaming consoles didn't exist today, they'd be invented tomorrow to solve the abundant flaws in developing, supporting and playing games on a PC.

Don't get me wrong: I love PC gaming. But at the heart of PC gaming isn't Giant_Publisher_X, Big_Game_10 or GPU_10000GTXSETi. The heart of PC gaming is the freedom for devs and gamers to be disruptive by trying new things that may not be possible for purpose-built gaming hardware.