View Single Post
Old January 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Top Prospect

It's too bad that PC gaming is so tied in with console games. It would be nice that there would be more DICE's than Bobby Kotick's out there.

But looking at the PC sales ratio for BF3 vs consoles... it's not terribly impressive. Then again 1 million + units is not a bad number either. it just looks small compared to 9 million on the consoles or whatever it is.

Anyway, despite console games harming the development and restricting the potential of PC games... there's nothing we can do to change that. So with regard to upcoming consoles, I tend to not care about the PC gamer point of view, and focus on the apparent weaknesses of the current consoles. The only apparent technical issue that I have with the PS3 and Xbox 360 is the prevalence of sub HD games, and the few games that are at least 1280x720 (the absolutely stunning Uncharted series), well that's still 30FPS or less and that's another issue for me.

If these rumours are true, then 1920x1080 @60fps is unlikely for the upcoming generation. However, if the worst case scenario resolution is a native 1440x810 (or something in this ballpark) at 60fps then I am ok with that. It will be a clear upgrade over the 1024x600 resolution that COD is running at.

There are too many games that are sub HD:

List of Rendering Resolutions + basics on hardware scaling, MSAA, framebuffers - Beyond3D Forum

So as long as we're well and above that with 60fps in the "next gen" then I'll be ok with that. Also, at least 8gb of ram somehow please.