XBOX 720 Graphics
View Single Post
January 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
There are a lot of erroneous comparisons between the 360/PS3/PC here imo. But none of that really matters. And it's pretty difficult to speculate without any official details or dev opinions/breakdowns.
The next generation of consoles will have to be right-sized in different ways for a variety of reasons:
- poor economy: consoles must be inexpensive, have a strong price/performance ratio; console manufacturers will be looking at highly integrated solutions, putting tight thermal limits on performance.
- development costs: each upgrade in speed and fidelity increases dev costs at least proportionately; hardware/infrastructure upgrades; larger dev teams need more space and are less efficient; reorg/training/tool development; etc...
- digital delivery costs/times: most games will need to fit into a relatively small footprint, limiting fidelity
- consumer interest: the success of the seemingly under-powered wii will be a factor in limiting the performance of next generation consoles.
- both Sony and Microsoft have need to be more frugal this round.
I have a feeling that publishers have had a big say in defining next-gen console specs.
My System Specs
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Desiato
Find all posts by Desiato