View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012, 03:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Half the people in Gaza and the west bank starving to death? Where do you get this stuff? Only the palastinians being asked to take responsibility? Do you have any idea of where world opinion lies? That most of the planet won't recognise Isreal as a country? That the majority of the UN is hostile to Isreal solely due to religion? That the UN has levied about a bazillion resolutions agaisnt Isreal? (List of United Nations resolutions concerning Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Yay for a bunch of tinpot dictators and puppet democracies to denounce isreal...

Shit, why can't we just agree to allow Isreal to have militarily defensible borders and to stop firing rockets at civilians?

Israel has a very precarious position, what do you expect them to do? Sign over a surrender and orderly leave for umm, nowhere?
This was my position during the '70s and '80s. I felt it was perfectly reasonable for them to militarily occupy a "no-man's-land" buffer zone outside of their borders in order to protect their citizens from a real and present threat.

Once they started allowing settlers to move into that buffer zone, and even worse, started anexing land which wasn't included in the initial borders of Israel, that state (IMO) became just another rogue nation which doesn't respect international law.

I understand that they (by virtue of demographics) cannot accept the long held requirement of "right of return" to lands inside Israel "proper", but no solution can start until Israel removes it's citizens completely from land which does not in any way shape or form belong to it. (No land outside of the original borders is recognised internationally... even the USA doesn't officially recognise land other than that inside of the original borders)

For me, this has absolutely nothing to do with religion, I'd feel the same way about the actions of any state which was stealing land from it's neighbours.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP