View Single Post
Old May 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
For me i have had many routers. Here is how i rate them

1. Netgear Prosafe line (there chepaer line is pure crap)
2. D-link
3. Router on a stick (linux firewalls, It's here due to the steep learning curve
4. Linksys

In the past 5 years i have had 3 different routers 2 linksys and one netgear. Both linksys were great when they worked however they both died quite quickly. i bought my netgear and it has been rock solid for 3 years going. how ever if you need wireless you will need buy a prosafe access point as the prosafe routers are business class devices and don't come with wifi. With that said. If you do happen to have a old pc kicking around and don't mind the learning curve the router on a stick is a much more robust and flexible solution. I would recommend either smooth wall express 3 or ipcop. I have had great success with both.

Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org

IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

FVS338 - NETGEAR.com

FVS318 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 w/8 Port 10/100 Switch - NETGEAR.com

FVS114 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch - NETGEAR.com

DGFV338 - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem VPN Firewall Router

FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

WAG102 - ProSafe™ Dual Band Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WG102 - Prosafe? 802.11g Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WNDAP330 - ProSafe 802.11n Dual Band Wireless Access Point

Just some links to get you started
ya that is what I did after I built my system I traded my dell to my sister for her old ibm netvista computer then installed smoothwall 3 on it I have to say that its the best thing I have ever did there are a fair amount of Mods you can add into it for even more security its great