View Single Post
Old January 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Memory issues can be weird ones to troubleshoot. I'm not saying that's definitely the problem with your computer. I'm only giving you suggestions to try. I had a memory issue last year. I had been running my computer for a year with no issues. I got the occasional BSOD once in a great while, but nothing that could be definitively attributed to anything that I could find. Then I started playing minecraft. And my BSOD's skyrocketed. It took me a week to narrow it down to the memory because I had to constantly replicate the issue and I only had limited time to work on it each day. Ran memtest found errors. So I thought, crap, now I have to figure out which module it is. Pulled out one module and retested. Errors completely gone. I thought great I found the faulty module on the first try. 2 seconds later reality set in and I realized that computers are never that simple. I put the module back it and retested. Errors came back. Pulled out another different module this time and retested. Errors completely gone again. So it wasn't a faulty module, so it had to be something else. After researching I found that my particular motherboard didn't like using my particular memory while populating all 4 slots. Rampage formula and Corsair Dominator PC-8500+ @1066mhz. 3 would work fine, but for some reason running four caused memory errors and system instability. Like I said, I'm not saying that it's definitely the problem, only that it could very easily be the issue. Voltages with memory can be a very finicky thing. That's why it threw up a huge red flag when you listed your differing memory modules. Hell, when that happened my computer it ran beautifully for a year as well. I was surprised as hell when I found the problem. If you want to do a slower test, then take out 2 of the modules and run with 4gb of one matched pair for a couple days and see if the problem goes away. If the problem goes away, then make a decision of how your going to proceed with a more permanent solution. If the problem persists, then try the other pair on their own for couple days. If it goes away, then same as before. If it doesn't then you can explore other avenues for possible causes for you issue. It sucks and it's inconvenient, but troubleshooting computers is a process of elimination. Sometimes it's a quick process, and sometimes it's a slow and methodical process. I hope this helps.

Also, if it only happens under load. How are your temps under load. Are they good, or are they high?