View Single Post
Old January 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Storage & backup options

Well, I'll be the first to admit I have been very lax in backing up data on my computers. A couple of things have spurred me on to do a better job with it. First, my computer at work shat itself and needed to be re-imaged, losing some of my documents and diagrams in the process.... I harassed the IT people stating that my home computers never had these problems, so karma kicked in and the hard drive on my wife's computer locked up ( damn you Seagate!). I have yet to successfully recover the images and documents she lost.....

I gutted her rig and gave her shiny new components instead of my hand me downs and now I would like to solicit the gurus here on a backup & storage strategy. We have a Vantec enclosure with a Seagate hdd in it, *shudder* but I am wondering what other options there are. I hear everyone talking about "home servers" but I have no clue if I need something like that, I do not have terabytes to back up. My needs are quite simple, but my wife is taking a business course so she needs to retain her data. I have two laptops and three desktops, and could build a server with the guts from my wife's last computer. All ideas and advice are welcome and appreciated.