Thread: CPU choices
View Single Post
Old January 10, 2012, 03:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
Clock for clock the IL is faster then the MC, but it's not proportional to the core and wattage increase. So if the goal is the highest ppd per rig a faster il would be better then mc but it's going to draw more power.

Someone also said 64core folding leaves something t o be desired and it would be better to do 2x32core instead, dunno 48core seems fine to me. And you're not going to need 64gb of ram, I haven't seen my rig use more then 4.5gb, but I know first hand 1gb sticks are hard to find, so the cheapest lowest latency sticks you can find will do, quad channel 16 sticks.

Either way that kinda horsepower listed should get you ontop of the ppd list, climbing the point ladder very quickly.
Since I haven't actually started the built and I am waiting for the 4x NH-U9DO A3 to come in, I really want to nail this down

I had ordered the 4xIL before I found the deal on the 8xMC, that's how I ended up with a dozen CPUs :P

The memory I got, they are on the tested memory list for the supermicro board and they are DR, all of the ECC memory I seen are about $10/gb regardless of size.. I have to see if the board will run stable on dual channel though.. since I only have 4 kits

What kind of PPD you getting on your quad rig?

-joe