View Single Post
Old January 3, 2012, 11:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For current monitor you can use anything like a 55ti or 560 (non ti) and be pretty much set but a new monitor would up the requirements to a 6870 / 560ti.

Not worth going much higher with your current machine but it would be playable at that.

most games aren't very heavy on the cpu, although you would see some performance gains in most titles with a new rig. That said BF3 is hard on the cpu and your may bottleneck the card in this situation.

At your resolution there isn't much data especially with your cpu.

If your really only after a new GPU (and were reasonably happy with your old one till it went pop) then any of the lower end cards will offer you a significant upgrade for much less than your budget.
Check out any of the reviews for the newer lower end cards to see what you think (remembering that at lower resolution you will get better performance)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Roundup: ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte & MSI
AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB & HD 6570 512MB Review

From those reviews the best buy for your needs that i can see is the very good for it's age: 5770 (my last card)
Anything bigger than a 550Ti / 6850 is probably overkill and the 6670 is probably just about sufficient,
Anything much more powerful will probably be wasted with your current CPU and resolution

Best bet is to look second hand.. a 5770 is cool running and low(er) power card (considering it's age) that should be readily available second hand.

Last edited by Dzzope; January 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM.