View Single Post
Old January 1, 2012, 05:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default [solved] CPU TIM and Fan questions

I have OCZ Vendetta 2 heat sink and fan installed, on my i7 920 overclocked to 3.8GHz. It has been running at about 42c for the past 2 yrs. Now the heatsink fan has a grinding sound when I booted the computer in the morning, and then went normal after 30 seconds. Also, cpu temp has gone up to about 48c (at idle, with minimum tasks in background).

Here are my questions:

1. I replaced the fan with a Noctua NF-P12. It is 3 wires, and the original fan has 4 wires. The fan runs at around 1400 rpm. Do I need to buy a fan with 4 wires, and what does the 4th wire do? Is this fan appropriate for heatsink use?

2. I removed the heatsink, cleaned it with 99% alcohol (and the cpu as well). I put on Arctic Silver 5 which is old stuff since 2004. The temp did not drop, it is around 47c overclocked, and 40c on optimized default. Is my AC5 too old?

So either the fan or the AC5 or both is giving me problems. Which do you think?

3. If I replace my heatsink & fan, what do you recommend besides D14(which is really too large for my case. I only overclock to 3.8 GHz, and do photo editing, and sometimes game a bit.

edit: I ran P95, and it reached 78c in 5 minutes when I turned it off.

Last edited by Chris; January 2, 2012 at 04:05 PM.