View Single Post
Old December 24, 2011, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Probably because the 7970 *just* edges out the 580 in important games like BF3, before putting it's OC'ed versions (which are very popular bu now) into the equation. SKYMTL's good words were mainly due to the huge leap relatively to AMD's own last gen, but I really don't think there's any excitement about the fact that the 7970 has beaten a card which is over a year old, and at a higher price. Hence the "meh". NVIDIA is taking their time cause they know they can, and my gut feeling is that they will come out with something which will blow everything apart. But ofc I can be wrong ;)
Nah I get that feeling as well, I was just hoping he might have come across some evidence to substantiate it.

Theoretically, if NV just die-shrunk the 580 to 28nm and operated it at the same TDP as the current 580 its, performance should come very close to or even exceed the 7970's for lower resolutions. And thats only considering improvements to the core and not even the other components.

Also, when NVIDIA's PR department is silent you know that everything is presumably fine, they only have the tendency to start spinning crap when they're desperate and want to assure the community and shareholders that they aren't in the red (mind the pun)