View Single Post
Old December 13, 2011, 06:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The heat sinks I have are of this type, (specs here Dynatron Corporation - the leading manufacturer of CPU cooling products.) and because it is too expensive to mod the rig with regular AM2/AM3 coolers, I will simply replace the fans in the heatsinks. Modding it to accept regular AM2 heatsinks would require these brackets (here CPU Fan Retainer Clips - AMD Socket F / 1207). Item is discontinued by Supermicro, tried at local Microbytes, they said even the supplier has no ETA, so they are kinda expensive when shipping from US is factored in. So I have decided to simply replace the fans in the heatsinks and I decided for a model from SilenX, model IXP-34-16, that I can get at directcanada.com and from what I have seen on newegg they have excellent reviews. Question : can I use a PCI videocard in a PCI X slot? Will it work? I have seen a Zotac GT430 on PCI and also a GT520. For the moment this is a work in progress and will be an open air system, but I have seen that an IBM xSeries 235 tower should fit my needs, as mobo is EATX format. If you have any input it is welcome. BTW, it is too late to ditch the platform I paid already 120$ on it with all the shipping and the custom fees, so I would like at least to upgrade it before considering any sale. Also the system has no soundcard, would a regular pci work? Again in the PCI-X slots?
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; December 14, 2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: work in progress