View Single Post
Old December 10, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Sure it does, it's an electronic signal over a copper line just like anything else. But perhaps "huge factor" was a bit over-stated. It's certainly not as prevalent as DSL factors due in part to how thick and shielded the core of a coax cable can be. If you're talking a building wired anywhere with RG-59, (and you're in Oshawa so I'm kinda assuming here from horrible experiences I've seen around the university) then you're not going to get a real good signal at all, but even your typical RG-6 over a healthy distance can lose quality (5.5 db / 100 ft? - also consider the run to whatever box Rogers has!) but you're right: It's usually not a big deal. Also maybe consider bad cable splitters, bad heads and un-terminated connections. Hell maybe you just got a dirty line somewhere on the route to the box slowing you down.

The simple matter is most of this crap is avoided using a MIMO like system.
I think what happens is your "Rated" speed stays the same, unlike DSL which will drop with signal quality. You definitely will get a poor connection, packet loss etc. You're right about cable splitters, that's often one of the worst things for a signal.

As for going with a TPIA provider in Ontario, you will run into more problems as more things can go wrong. Distributel/Acanac had capacity issues for a while, they do seem largely resolved. Teksavvy has about half of their POIs congested during peak hours, although it does seem like they're getting a better grasp on things, being more proactive and Roger's is being a bit more cooperative. The exception is Dupont, it still is a shit show.

In any case, I'd see if anyone services Cogecoland because if they do, they probably service Rogers too and you could switch and keep the modem probably.

Last edited by JMCD; December 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM.