View Single Post
Old December 8, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Again I have to respectfuly not agree with what AkG says here .... as long as the os reports trim as being enabled then the support is there weither it fully works or doesnt.

Same as this " AMD is slower then intel in ssd preformance " is partialy false .... cause if that was the case I would never have gotten FULL read/write speeds/preformace in 4k & what not on my Vertex 2 I have. Again peaple like to "generalize" things to easily in instances like this. The FEW times I have seen a spedific SSD drive on both a AMD & Intel latest chipset .... in the 1 instance the AMD system showed like maybe a 50/mb's slower rate in write preformance. I believe it was a Force 3 drive in which the intel was a X6x chipset vs amd 990 .... in read/write it was 550/520 intel to 534/470 amd. Does that justify calling it "slower" cause its 16/50 mb/s slower then the intel & not to buy it based on this 1 review ... NO. Start talking about 100 mb/s +/or around 50% on BOTH ... THEN you have a VERY valid argument

This is the reason why its important to read multiple reviews/do research before you put a system together .... most review sites/reviewers are not blessed to be handed x amount of componets from companies to test/review to post a statisticaly & factualy sound review/preview for folks.

I am in no way tryin to fully discredit AkG's position/opinion as I do like the job he does do on his reviews for the site ... BUT just making a point that in fact just cause one person's/review/opinion might be negative .. anothers might not be OR show otherwise .... which is why I myself like to read a bunch of reviews before I formulate a good bad or indifrent view on a componet with what was presented to me in information by various reviews/sites.

OH I forgot to add .... I do agree with AkG's recomendation of the marvel based SSD's .... as currently sandforce models are still maturing & OCZ's Idillinx Everest/Octaine SSD's while having great read speeds I feel are VERY hampered by there low write preformance that then for the same cost i feel are not currently worth it unless your looking at the 512 gig model.

Terrybear /sigh. You may want to stick to areas you actually know what you are talking about. AMD fanboi'ism has blinded you....again. Just like your blind support for BD.

The OS has NO clue if the command is making it to the SSD or not. It just passes it on. Even on old mobos that dont support TRIM...the OS will show it as enabled. My best guess is the AMD driver is only 95% working. I am not the only one to experience AMD's TRIM 'support' shitting the bed. You would know this if you dealt with more than a couple SSDs and a couple systems. There is a lot of links in the TRIM chain. AMD has poor support for TRIM because in some cases the driver fails and in others their storage controller fails to pass it on. The end result is you can not trust your AMD rig with 100% certainty to pass on TRIM.

AMD is well known for being about 10 percent slower than Intel. You even have proven that yourself, whether you want to see the truth or not. I. Do. Not. Care. As. You. Are. A. Fanboi. It is sad to see an otherwise intelligent person be so blinded (in your world AMD has to be 50% slower before you will admit to there being a difference!), but the fact still remains that AMD rigs are slower at storage related tasks than Intel. Hell please dont even get me STARTED on AMD's less than great Cool N Quiet drivers. That is some of the most poorly coded driver that I have seen in a long while that can easily turn a small difference into a large one.

The net result. If you are buying a new rig and want to get the most performance from it you buy an Intel rig. Not. A. AMD. System. They are slower, more prone to failure of TRIM and all round more hassle than their Intel counterparts. This is coming from somebody who usually couldnt care less about Intel or AMD. I ran both. However, where SSD's are the future I refuse to spend money on a company which has shown to be dragging its heels on SSD support. After all, if I am spending 300 - 800 for a SSD I damn well want every bit of performance that I paid for. IF the successor to BD proves that AMD is finally gotten SSD support right...bonus. I probably will be the first person in line to BUY it. Until then, my money is going to Intel and so would yours Terrybear IF you want to actually get all the speed from your SSDs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 8, 2011 at 04:32 PM.