View Single Post
Old December 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well speaking from someone whose been both camps here is why I let you know from my own experiences.

First off the Samsung 27A850D (the 27" monitor AkG reviewed) looks absolutely gorgeous right now infront of me. Having a larger screen with more pixels makes whatever game I am playing look even better then it used to. Everything good AkG had to say about the Monitor and is true, and hell some of the bad isn't as bad as he says (such as the usb port location, doesn't bother me as I have my keyboard, mouse and webcam plugged in, 3 things I'll never unplug and replug constantly).

The thing you have to know about eyefinity/surround is that it looks great when it works, however it can be very frustrating when it half or only partially works. There are probably only a handful games out there that actually properly support 3 monitor gaming without any hiccups or ini edits. After that you can deal with games that may support the resolution, but have say their menus, their HUDs, etc that are skewed making the game either unplayable or makes it a lot more difficult to play. Imagine playing a game where you need to monitor your health quite a bit (DA2 on hard/insane), now move all the important information such as your health off into the far left corner of your left monitor. You would have to glance away from the combat quite a bit to make sure you or no one else is going to die (first hand experience, and this is from 21.5" eyefinity/surround, not bigger 24" would be even harder on stretched HUDs). Finally there are the games that have little to no support, leaving you to game hopefully on your centre monitor, but there have been some that'll load in whatever damn monitor they want. Another example was playing BF3 without any HUD info whatesoever, I could not tell who was and wasn't on my team. This lead to an hour of frustration, lots of team kills and lots of deaths because I stopped for a second to figure out if they were on my team or not.

Ultimately I'd recommend the single monitor route over 3, just until things can mature more from developers and from drivers as well.