View Single Post
Old November 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Interesting... you'll definitely get a boost in multithreaded apps with integer loads (which BD was made to do), but you're surely taking a penalty for single threaded applications, given that Bulldozer's single-threaded performance is about where the Core2 (1 generation behind your P55) sits.

Clock that Bulldozer chip to the limit of stability if you expect it to stand a chance in gaming against your older CPU
You won't get very far with the overclocking without a better CPU cooler - I'd go to the tier of the Corsair A70 or higher at least, with Bulldozer chips consuming more power than anything else on the market when overclocked.
Yup, I will be puttin on me H212+ this evening and some good TIM. I hope to get 4.0GHz, we'll see what happens. I was curious to compare the performance of a BD core to a P55 core. You are right that the single threaded performance will be quite poor on BD and I'm sure it will show in the benches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
You lost a bet, didn't you.

Good for you for your public display of technomasochism, but for the $350 you flushed away on BD, you could and should have gotten an i5-2500k/Z68 combo.

But as long as you learn something, I guess.
Quite right. I actually had an opportunity to pick up a used 2600k/z68 combo here from someone, and would have only been maybe another $50-75 more than what I paid for the BD setup. But, I chose this.