View Single Post
Old November 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi Guys,

Finally had some time to go round to my local suplies shop and bought the dremel drillbits I needed for this (didnīt have the right size for the screws I wanted to use, normally Iīd say, use different screws, but I decided on the screws normally used to mount fans as the grip very well. This surface being thing and plastic, can use all the grip it can get).

Furthermore, Iīve decided to mount it outside for several reasons. Looking in to obtaining power from the usb (5v) I could only find a few led strips that did the job, unfortunately they where (god knows why) stupidly expensive and I wasnt even sure how they would look (if they had been cheap I wouldīve gotten them even if it was just to experiment with them). Reason 2 is, the enclosure is a perfect fit on the back of the monitor, and it seemed like a waste not taking advantage of this. The final reason is, I have to finish diabolo, this, and yet another small project in 2 and a half weeks, so I want to streamline it a bit and I personally think it looks great on the outside, while doing it inside would be more for the challenge, at this point I donīt think itīs needed.

On another note, I will be adding to the setup the philips ambx, of course with a paintjob to match, and seeing as Iīve decided to go for a white paintjob with black details, the light emited by the rig should add a very cool effect to the paintjob.

So as I said, I got the right drillbits and made 4 mounting holes:

Also used the original netbookīs mounting holes but made them big enough for the screws while not going over itīs original design, so it looks factory standard.

Sanded everything down and gave it a coat of primer:

And after it had dried and sanded it down a bit, the first coat of Icy White:

I am now waiting for it to dry in order to give it itīs second coat.

PS: I came up for a name for the project, it is now named Project: AIO AL (as in All-In-One AmbiLight)

Last edited by Luciel; November 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM.